Guilty Pleasures is the seventeenth episode of Glee's fourth season and the eighty-third episode overall. It aired on March 21, 2013. After this episode, there was another 3 week hiatus with Shooting Star airing on April 11, 2013.
With Mr. Schue out for the week and Finn leaving the Glee Club to seek a teacher's degree, Blaine and Sam decide to run the Glee Club for the week after they discover each other's "Guilty Pleasures." The two create an assignment titled "Guilty Pleasures" where the Glee Club has to perform music from artists or songs they love but are too embarrassed to admit. When this week's assignment goes into the deep, Blaine and Sam's bond grows stronger, Marley and the New Directions Girls attack Jake's choice of song for the assignment and Kitty reveals her guilty pleasure on Brittany's internet segment that influences the other girls to join in. Back in New York, Santana returns to the Bushwick Apartment but somebody else seems to be missing. Kurt has a guilty pleasure that he's afraid to admit and he also attempts to prevent Santana from telling Rachel the truth about Brody.
The episode opens with Blaine giving Sam $50. The reason is that he's spotted
Sam taking pasta from the cafeteria. Sam tells him the reason is that he's working on macaroni art and shows Blaine his portraits, which include Emma Stone, LeAnn Rimes, Ralph Macchio, the stars of Duck Dynasty and Kurt. Blaine says it brings out his (Kurt's) eyes meaning he is still in love with Kurt while having a developing crush on Sam. Blaine admits that his guilty pleasure is the band Wham!. Tina pops in and tells the guys Glee club is cancelled this week because Mr. Schue is out sick, but the guys say "not necessarily." Sam makes a joke about Tina rubbing medicine on Will Schuester and Tina gets annoyed. Despite not having an advisor available, Sam and Blaine assign the Glee club guilty pleasures. Blaine and Sam start with Wham!, breaking into the song Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.
Brittany talks to Kitty in the hallway about improving her negative image and invites her to appear on Fondue For Two. During the interview, after Kitty and Brittany talk about their love of Bring It On, Kitty tells Brittany that her guilty pleasure is too horrible to admit and whispers it in her ear, leaving fangirl Tina anxious and upset that Kitty didn't say it out loud.
Over in New York, Kurt is sitting in his acting class watching a performance andlearning about how to become a more vulnerable actor by acting out their secret shames. When he gets up to act, we learn all of Kurt's guilty pleasures including, what he is the most shamed about, his "boyfriend arm," which he named Bruce. In the locker room, Sam and Blaine talk and Sam refuses to reveal his true guilty pleasure, but Blaine keeps pressing until Sam blurts out that his secret is he likes Barry Manilow, which causes several guys to give Sam a quizzical look. Some of the Glee kids who watched the online interview demand to know Kitty's guilty pleasure. Kitty won't budge, but Brittany says that it's the Spice Girls, and Unique, Tina, and Marley are ecstatic about performing one of their songs.
Over in New York, Santana is still bickering with Rachel and Kurt, this time in the bathroom, because she doesn't have any shelf room for her products. Kurt wants Santana to wait on telling Rachel about Brody until after her big audition as it will distract her from her goal, which Santana agrees upon only if Kurt gives her extra room. Santana then offers to cheer Rachel up by playing an innocent little prank on Kurt, but when the two girls go in to put his hand in a pot of warm water, they see his little secret. Kurt reluctantly introduces the girls to Bruce and makes it clear that they cannot borrow him.
Sam admits his love for Manilow to the club, which leads him intosinging Copacabana. After the performance, Jake and Ryder both admit their love of Manilow to the New Directions. In the next scene, the girls talk in the auditorium about which Spice Girls they want to be and after a brief discussion, Tina walks in in shock as she overheard Jake's guilty pleasure, which leads Marley to find him and ask if it's true. Sam finds Blaine in the library, and is upset that Blaine hasn't been completely honest with what his guilty pleasure is and leaves him.
Jake tries to explain to the girls in the choir room about why he was going to sing Chris Brown. His reason is that he feels guilty about liking his songs and argues you should be able to separate the art from the artist the girls do not agree with Jake, which leads him to bring up the fact that the glee club has done Whitney, Britney, and Rihanna and he doesn't think that they are good role models either yet they still sing their music.
At the Bushwick apartment, Kurt gives Santana and Rachel their own special pillows and Santana proceeds to tell Rachel that Brody is a gigolo, which Kurt confirms, after she is tired of hearing that Rachel and Brody might get back together.
In Lima, Blaine, playing the piano, sings a powerful, live rendition of Phil Collins' Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) and exchanges several glances at Sam during the performance. When it was over, everyone gives Blaine a standing ovation and Tina asks him who it was about and after a few moments, Blaine says he was thinking about Kurt. He adds that he is no longer in the closet about his love for Phil Collins, but Sam notices Blaine looking at him while he sang.
Back in the choir room, Sam and Blaine introduce the girls, who are all dressed up aseach Spice Girl and through channeling the girl band, they give a rousing homage of the Spice Girls' Wannabe, with Ryder fanboying over the whole performance. Each girl is dressed in a signature look that corresponds to who they are portraying: Unique is Baby Spice, Marley is Posh Spice, Kitty is Ginger Spice, Tina is Scary Spice, and Brittany is Sporty Spice. At the end of the performance, Artie seems to be noticing Kitty a little bit and notes that she actually looks like she enjoys being part of the group.
After the girls sit down, Jake takes the stage and instead of singing a Chris Brown song, he chooses My Prerogative by Bobby Brown, which not just shows off his dance moves, but also leads to Unique and Marley giving each other a look of disbelief. Out in the hallway, Tina is dressed up as Vicky the android girl from the '80's cult classic, Small Wonder, which makes Kitty realize that she needs to hang around with "normal people." Jake then walks by and apologizes about singing a Bobby Brown song, since he allegedly got Whitney Houston addicted to drugs, which he wasn't aware of, then says to Tina that he did get the cultural reference that Tina was dressed as, which surprises Kitty. As Kitty and Tina leave, Jake and Marley have a little moment together before proceeding to kiss.
At NYADA, Rachel walks up and slips some money into Brody's hand then tells him that she knows what his secret is: being a gigolo. He proceeds to tell her that he is doing this to help pay for the cost of the school and that he regrets doing it, which angers Rachel since she mentioned that he was being entirely honest about who he was doing while they were dating. Brody then brings up the fact that Rachel wasn't being honest and knows that she slept with Finn at Mr. Schuester's wedding and that her ex came to New York and beat him up, but despite the lying he meant every word he ever said to Rachel. Rachel then starts to cry and apologizes for lying to Brody and tells him that part of this was to make Finn jealous and to fill her own heartache and they have a 'mature' break up. As Rachel leaves, Radiohead's Creep starts playing, which summarizes where both Rachel and Brody are at in their relationship.
Sam finds Blaine working on a Phil Collins song in the auditorium. Sam says he knows Blaine's guilty pleasure is really him. Sam admits that he is actually flattered by it. They hug it out, which gets awkward for Sam as he thinks Blaine is getting turned on, but it ends up just being Blaine's breathmints, which they share. Rachel comes home and finds Santana and Kurt bonding over a The Facts of Life marathon and she tells them that she and Brody came to an understanding and the relationship is over. She thanks Santana and her Mexican third eye, and says that she's ready to move on and see older guys. She wants them to watch her biggest guilty pleasure movie because she just got out of a relationship: Mamma Mia.
Rachel picks up the movie and as she walks to the couch, she starts to slowly sing Mamma Mia and is joined by Santana and Kurt; the scene is intercut with Marley, Blaine, and Sam leading the New Directions performance.
|Song Title||Original Artist||Performer(s)|
|Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go||Wham!||New Directions|
|Copacabana||Barry Manilow||Sam Evans with New Directions|
|Against All Odds
(Take a Look at Me Now)
|Phil Collins||Blaine Anderson|
|Wannabe||Spice Girls||New Directions Girls|
|My Prerogative||Bobby Brown||Jake Puckerman with New Directions Boys|
|Creep||Radiohead||Brody Weston and Rachel Berry|
|Mamma Mia||ABBA||Kurt Hummel, Rachel Berry, Santana Lopez, and New Directions|
- Dean Cameron as Kurt's acting teacher
- Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman
- Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose
- Becca Tobin as Kitty Wilde
- Alex Newell as Unique Adams
- Dean Geyer as Brody Weston
- Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn
Absent Cast Members
- Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester
- Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson
- Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester
- Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones
- Mark Salling as Noah Puckerman
- Harry Shum Jr. as Mike Chang
- Sam was originally going to sing I Knew You Were Trouble, but the song was later changed to Copacabana. Also, on the promo for the episode, Sam told Blaine that he loves Taylor Swift but on the episode he said Barry Manilow; implying that Sam's guilty pleasure was going to be Taylor Swift.
- Second episode in a row where Blaine has had a part in setting the weekly assignment.
- Creep was supposed to be a Rachel solo, but it was decided that Brody would be included. Source
- Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) is the second song that Darren sang live on set (the others being Teenage Dream in The Break-Up, Not While I'm Around in Bash and Suddenly Seymour in Loser Like Me).
- This episode got a 2.0 rating with a total of 5.91 million viewers Source
- This is the first episode to not feature any of the major adult cast. This includes Will, Emma, Sue, Shannon, Mr. Figgins, Carole, and Burt.
- This episode marks the last appearance of Brody Weston on the series.
- These are the 'Guilty Pleasures' revealed in the episode:
- Blaine: Sam, Wham!, and Phil Collins.
- Sam: Macaroni Craft and Barry Manilow, although it was originally Taylor Swift.
- Kitty: The Spice Girls and the Bring It On movies except the last one (Fight to the Finish).
- Brittany: All of the Bring It On movies.
- Marley: Jessica Simpson.
- Jake: Chris Brown.
- Tina: Vicki from Small Wonder.
- Kurt: Marathons of powerhouse women in TV history, Sweatin' to the Oldies sessions on DVD, and his Boyfriend pillow.
- Rachel: Mamma Mia! Movie
- In the episode, Jake is looked down for liking Chris Brown. In actual fact, Jacob Artist, the portrayer of Jake, likes Chris Brown according to this video. Source
- In the promo, before Santana tells Rachel that Brody is a gigolo, Kurt whispers to Santana saying "Santana, don't".
- Multiple times in the episode the handwriting of "Guilty Pleasures" on the white board changes.
- Back in The Substitute Will tells Holly that she will be substitute if he is ill. He was ill but Glee club was canceled for a week.
- Jake states that they do Rihanna songs all the time in the class, however the last Rihanna song was We Found Love in Yes/No from the previous season, and Jake was not a member of the club at that point.
Brittany: Everyone hates you.
Kitty: Excuse me?
Brittany: Maybe that's why nobody wants to work with you.
Tina: Stop! As loyal fans of 'Fondue for Two' we demand to know what your guilty pleasure is!
Kitty: None of your business.
Brittany: Spice Girls.
Jake: Look, look I get that Chris Brown is a douchebag.
Unique: I don't think that douche is a strong enough word to describe Chris Brown.
Tina: He brutally beat up his girlfriend.
Brittany He beat up a window at Good Morning America.
Marley He says horribly misogynistic things on Twitter.
Kitty What about the Frank Ocean fight in the parking lot?
Nothing scarier than a girl with a penis... Kidding.
One, Rachel's beautiful. Two, you're a bitch and those are my products, okay? And maybe if you used them, you wouldn't have more oil than the Middle East on your face.