|This article is about the actress Jane Lynch. You may be looking for the Season Six character Jane Hayward.|
Jane Marie Lynch, born July 14, 1960, is a 60-year-old American writer, actress, comedian, and singer. She had starred on Glee as Sue Sylvester between 2009 and 2015, and made a Broadway debut as Miss Hannigan in Annie in 2013. Her performance as Sue is highly praised, and she won a Golden Globe for her role in 2011.
Lynch was born to Eileen Carney and Frank Lynchin, and grew up in Dolton, Illinois.  She was raised in a Catholic family and attended Thornridge High School. She has two brothers, Bob and John, and a sister, Julie. Her niece, Meg Doyle, is a production assistant on Glee.
Lynch had been married to Dr. Laura Embry for three years before announcing that they would be getting a divorce in 2013. Embry is seeking more than $1.1 million per year in spousal support from Lynch, according to court documents. Lynch and Embry's divorce was finalized in October 2014, with Embry getting $1.2 million in spousal support.
Lynch has played roles in comedy films such as Best in Show, The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Role Models, and is also known for her recurring roles on television as lawyer Joyce Wischina on The L Word, Dr. Linda Freeman, Charlie's sarcastic therapist on Two and a Half Men and as Spencer Reid's mother Diana Reid on Criminal Minds. She has appeared on iCarly as Sam's mom, Pam Puckett. She was also a regular on the comedy-drama series Party Down as Constance Carmell; the role garnered her positive critical response.
Lynch received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on September 4, 2013 for her work as an actress.
Lynch's voiced a character in the FOX series Murder Police, which was picked up for thirteen episodes. The series was canceled by FOX on October 8, 2013.
She began to host NBC's Hollywood Game Night in July 2013 and even won an outstanding host Emmy in August 2014.
Lynch would star as Amy in the CBS comedy Angel from Hell in 2015 until its cancellation in 2016.
Lynch was announced to make a return to Criminal Minds as Diana after a seven year absence. She is set to appear in two episodes that will air in early 2017 for a centric Reid story.
- Main article: Sue SylvesterSince 2009, Lynch has played the role of Sue Sylvester in the FOX musical-comedy series Glee for which she has won an Emmy Award and a Golden Globe Award. Originally, Sue would be a recurring character, and Lynch would be joining an ABC show. The show, however, fell through, then Lynch was promoted to a starring role of Glee. Lynch's performance was well received by critics.
Sue Sylvester is the main antagonist of Glee, often picking on Will Schuester and his glee kids. She is the cheerleading coach of William McKinley High School, and a ruthless bully to her colleagues and students. Sue manages to show benevolence to some people, like Kurt and her handicapped sister, Jean.
|1988||Vice Versa||Ms. Lindstrom|
|In the Best Interest of the Children||Gwen Hatcher||TV movie and as Jany Lynch|
|1993||Empty Nest||Tammy||("The Girl Who Cried Baby")|
|Bakersfield P.D.||Michelle Hathaway||("Bakersfield Madam")|
|Fatal Instinct||Prison Reporter|
|The Fugitive||Doctor Kathy Wahlund|
|1994||The John Larroquette Show||Evaluator||("The Tutor")|
|Party of Five||Dr. Pennant||("Much Ado")|
|Married with Children||Greta||("Valentine's Day Massacre")|
|In the House||Ruth||("Female Trouble")|
|1996||Frasier||Cynthia||("A Lilith Thanksgiving")|
|3rd Rock from the Sun||Mrs. Koppel||("Dick, Smoker")|
|Cybill||Mrs. Sweeney||("Educating Zoey")|
|1998||Caroline in the City||Hostess||("Caroline and the First Date")|
|1999||Dharma & Greg||Sheryl||("Play Lady Play")|
|Judging Amy||ASA Perkins||1999 - 2000 ("Pilot," "Drawing the Line," "Waterworld")|
|2000||Gilmore Girls||Nurse||("Forgiveness and Stuff")|
|Best in Show||Christy Cummings|
|Color Me Gay||Executive||short|
|JAG||Sandy's Friend||("The Witches of Gulfport")|
|Red Lipstick||Final TV Newscaster|
|What Planet Are You From?||Doreen|
|The West Wing||Reporter / Reporter in Briefing Room||2000 - 2001 ("In the Shadow of Two Gunmen: Part I," "Two Cathedrals")|
|2001||The King of Queens||Dr. Foreman||("Ovary Action")|
|The X-Files||Mrs. Anne T. Lokensgard||("Lord of the Flies")|
|Family Law||Cheryl Bowman||("No Options")|
|Boston Public||Jane Morrell||("Chapter Twenty-Four")|
|Arli$$||("Giving Something Back")|
|The Division||("The First Hit's Free, Baby")|
|Nice Guys Finish Last||Mom||shory|
|Popular||Suzi Klein||("I Know What You Did Last Spring Break")|
|The Weber Show||Carla||("And Then Jack Had Two Dates")|
|Dawson's Creek||Mrs. Witter||("The Te of Pacey")|
|Family Guy||Dotty Campbell / French Teacher||2001 - 2002 (4 episodes)|
|7th Heaven||Nurse||2001 - 2002 (4 episodes)|
|2002||MDs||Aileen Poole, RN, Ph.D||(10 episodes)|
|The Big Time||Miss Rush||TV movie|
|Felicity||Professor Carnes||("The Paper Chase," Ben Don't Leave")|
|Collateral Damage||Agent Russo|
|Hiding in Walls||Diane Moffet||video short|
|2003||According to Jim||Janice||("The Lemonade Stand")|
|Spider-Man||Oscorp Executive||("Heroes and Villains" and voice)|
|Stephen King's Dead Zone||Flo McMurtry||("The Storm")|
|A Mighty Wind||Laurie Bohner|
|2004||Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events||Realtor||uncredited|
|Veronica Mars||Mrs. Donaldson||("Return of the Kane")|
|Memoirs of an Evil Stepmother||Blanche Monroe||short|
|How to Be a Hollywood Player in Less Than Ten Minutes||Hollywood Mogul||short|
|Friends||Ellen||("The One Where Estelle Dies")|
|Surviving Eden||Maude Silver|
|Arrested Development||Cindi Lightballoon||("Shock and Aww," "Altar Egos")|
|Las Vegas||Helen Putasca||("You Can't Take It with You")|
|Monk||Dr. Julie Waterford||("Mr. Monk Gets Married")|
|NYPD Blue||Susanna Howe||("You Da Bomb")|
|Little Black Boot||Grace||short|
|Father of the Pride||Gift Store Clerk/Lily||2004 - 2005 ("Possession," "The Siegfried and Roy Fantasy Experience Movie" and voice)|
|Two and a Half Men||Dr. Linda Freeman||2004 - 2014 (14 episodes)|
|2005||The L Word||Joyce Wischnia||2005 - 2009 (15 episodes)|
|The Californians||Sybill Platt|
|Bam Bam and Celeste||Darlene|
|Weeds||The Candyman||("Fashion of the Christ")|
|The 40 Year Old Virgin||Paula|
|The Life and Times of Juniper Lee||Madame Rothchild||("Magic Takes a Holiday" and voice)|
|Rodney||Amy O'Brien||("Rodney Moonlights," "Rodney's Big Shot")|
|Blind Justice||Dr. Taylor||("Four Feet Under," "Rub a Tub Tub")|
|CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Ranger||("Unbearable")|
|Unscripted||Jane||("Episode #1.6," "Episode #1.7")|
|Promtroversy||Mimi Nimby (Concerned Parent)||short|
|2006||Eye of the Dolphin||Glinton|
|Holly Hobbie and Friends: Christmas Wishes||Joan Hobbie/Minnie||video short and voice|
|The Frank Anderson||Dr. Emily Brice||short|
|Lovespring International||Victoria Ratchford||(13 episodes)|
|For Your Consideration||Cindy|
|Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby||Lucy Bobby|
|Night Stalker||Scientist||("Into Night" and uncredited)|
|Desperate Housewives||Maxine Bennett||("Silly People")|
|Separated at Worth||Jennifer|
|Help Me Help You||Raquel Janes||2006 - 2007 (6 episodes)|
|Boston Legal||Joanna Monroe||2006 - 2008 (4 episodes)|
|Criminal Minds||Diana Reid||2006 - 2008 (5 episodes)|
|Handy Manny||Jackie / Jackie Greenway||2006 - 2012 (4 episodes)|
|2007||Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story||Gail the Television Reporter|
|American Dad!||Al/Doctor/Timmy's mom||(4 episodes)|
|Alvin and the Chipmunks||Gail|
|Holly Hobbie and Friends: Best Friends Forever||Joan Hobbie/Minnie||video and voice|
|Love Is Love||Reverend Greeley||short|
|The List||Dr. Davina||short|
|The New Adventures of Old Christine||Ms. Hammond||("The Real Thing," "Friends")|
|The Hammer||Woman Who Argues With Jerry||uncredited|
|Suffering Man's Charity||Ingrid Sorensen|
|Smiley Face||Casting Director|
|Campus Ladies||Professor||("Psych 101")|
|Area 57||Irene Maloof||TV movie|
|I Do & I Don't||Nora Stelmack|
|Untitled Christine Taylor Project||Janet||TV movie|
|2008||Easy to Assemble||Manager Swenka / Manager Gjorna||(15 episodes)|
|Web Therapy||Claire Dudek||("Psycho Analysis: Part 1," "Psycho Analysis: Part 2," "Psycho Analysis: Part 3")|
|Another Cinderella Story||Dominique||video|
|Psych||Commander Barbara Dunlap||("There Might Be Blood")|
|Space Chimps||Dr. Poole||voice|
|My Name Is Earl||Sissy||("I Won't Die with a Little Help from My Friends: Part 1")|
|The Toe Tactic||Honey Strumpet|
|Tru Loved||Ms. Maple|
|Adventures of Power||Joni|
|The Adventures of Captain Cross Dresser||TV movie and voice|
|Never Better||Linda||TV movie|
|2009||Post Grad||Carmella Malby|
|Julie & Julia||Dorothy McWilliams|
|Reno 911!||Therapist||("Wiegel's Couple's Therapy")|
|Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs||Diatryma Mom||voice|
|Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust||Denise Lemon||voice and video game|
|Mr. Troop Mom||Miss Hulka||TV movie|
|The Spectacular Spider-Man||Joan Jameson||("Gangland" and voice)|
|Spring Breakdown||Senator 'Kay Bee' Hartmann|
|Party Down||Constance Carmell||2009 - 2010 (9 episodes)|
|2009 - 2015 (121 episodes)|
2014 ("Previously Unaired Christmas")
|2010||The Cleveland Show||Ms. Eck
|2010 ("Love Rollercoaster")|
2011 ("How Do You Solve a Problem Like Roberta?")
|Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet||Nebula||voice and video game|
|iCarly||Pam Puckett||("iSam's Mom")|
|Neighbors from Hell||Alex||("Country Club Hell," "Screw the EPA," "Fantastic 15" and voice)|
|The Super Hero Squad Show||Nebula||2010 - 2011 ("Double Negation at the World's End!," "When Strikes the Surfer!")|
|2011||Small Fry||Queen Neptuna||voice|
|The Simpsons||Roz||("Replaceable You" and voice)|
|Web Therapy||Claire Dudek||("Public Relations")|
|The Lady with 700 Cats||Narrator||TV movie|
|Phineas and Ferb||Mrs. Johnson||2011 - 2013 (4 episodes)|
|Delhi Safari||Female Flamingo||voice: English version|
|The Three Stooges||Mother Superior|
|WordGirl||("The Rise of Miss Power, Part 1/The Rise of Miss Power, Part 2")|
|Abominable Christmas||Margaret Knowhow||voice and TV movie|
|The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange||Cobb/Jane the Peanut||("Pop Star," "An Orange Carol" and voice)|
|2013||Escape from Planet Earth||Io||voice|
|2014||Birds of Paradise||Rosie||voice and video|
|The Team Unicorn Saturday Action Fun Hour!||Dark Puba||("Pilot")|
|2015||Girl Meets World||Herself||("Girl Meets Farkle's Choice")|
|After the Reality||Doctor||post-production|
|Portlandia||Barbecue Planner||("4th of July")|
|Angel from Hell||Amy|
- She shares her life with two dogs and two cats. She has a Lhasa Apso named Oliva, a Wheaten Terrier named Georgie, a Gray Tabby named Geta and a Red Tabby named Riley.
- Her favorite Sue line is "That's what they said about a young man in Chicago in 1871, who thought he'd play a harmless prank on the dairy cow of one Mrs. O'Leary. He successfully ignited its flatulence, and a city burned, William. That young terrorist went on to become the first gay president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln."
- She's deaf in her right ear.
- She quit in the middle of her first play.
- She loves coffee and the first pot in the morning needs to be perfect. She can do it over and over again.
- Her dog wears a diaper.
- She's afraid of elevators.
- She sends her sheets to the cleaners.
- She performed all her own singing and guitar playing in A Mighty Wind (2003).
- She penned and starred in the award winning play "Oh, Sister, My Sister!"
- Her favorite films are The Crossing Guard (1995), Ninotchka (1939), The Big Lebowski (1998), Zoolander (2001), and Private Benjamin (1980).
- She's the tallest of her castmates.
- She voiced Sergeant Calhoun, a female action game character from the 2012 movie Wreck-It-Ralph.
- She made her Broadway debut as Miss Hannigan in a revival of the 1977's musical, Annie, from May 14 to July 14, 2013.
- She guest starred on Disney's Girl Meets World in 2015.
- People sometimes call Jane: "Janer" and "Janie."
- Her favorite curse word is "f**k a duck"
[In an Interview with the UK Mirror on why she didn't tell her parents she is a lesbian until she was 31 years old] I didn't want to be gay. I wanted to be...I wanted an easy life. And you know what? I am gay and I still have an easy life.
Lynch alone makes "Glee" worth watching.
—Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times
- Theater review: Jane Lynch makes an assured Broadway debut as Miss Hannigan in 'Annie' June 2013.
- Jane Lynch: 'I'm just a goof'
- See Jane Run - ELLE
- Jane Lynch Bio
- Jane Lynch files for divorce from wife of three years Lara Embry July 2013.
- Cheeri-Oh! Jane Lynch's Ex Asking for More Than $1.1 Million Per Year in Spousal Support September 2013.
- Jane Lynch Divorce Finalized, Ex Lara Embry Gets $1.2 Million Over Two Years
- We're proud to honor @janemarielynch with the Trevor Hero Award for her unwavering support of equality for LGBTQ people! #TrevorLIVE
- So honored!! RT @marcmalkin: . @kathygriffin will host @TrevorProject Live on Dec.8 @ Hollywood Palladium L.A. @janemarielynch 2b honored.
- Jane Lynch’s Glee for Edgy Roles Keeps Her in Demand
- Fox cancels Jane Lynch series before it airs
- Fall TV: Jane Lynch's Angel From Hell Among 2 Comedies Ordered at CBS
- Criminal Minds: Jane Lynch to Return for Season 12
- 'Glee' cast share their nicknames 0:57 - 1:03 mintues in.